Wednesday, March 30th, 9:00am ET
Design influences the culture of a space –impacting the way people feel and behave. In this interactive session, we’ll explore how you can harness the power of space design to honor diversity, promote equity and ensure inclusion (DEI). Using excerpts from the new 2nd Edition of the UDL Deck of Spaces, design thinking and game-based activities, we’ll explore how to create welcoming school spaces that support learning and inspire creativity. Experienced classroom teachers will discuss how they use design to transform the culture of their classroom and share tips on getting started. You’ll leave with a plan to build a foundation for equity, inclusion, and justice in your learning space.
- Slide Deck
- Deck of Spaces Slide Deck
- Cracks in the Foundation Article
- FRAMES activity and Valuing Differences Handout
- Participants will be able to explain how to support diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) through UDL and space design.
- Participants will be able to identify how space design impacts student health, well-being, and academic achievement.
- Participants will be able to identify strategies to maximize the impact of flexible space design on DEI.
- Participants will be able to identify ways to include inclusive design strategies into their current school spaces.
- 3 sheets of paper for drawing (8×11 or larger, 18×24 recommended)
- Tools for drawing (your preference); markers, pencils, colored pencils etc.
- Welcome and introductions
- Understanding our FRAME activity- uncovering assumptions and biases
- Examining UDL and Equity – Cracks in the Framework article
- How space design supports diversity, equity and inclusion
- School Against Inhumanity; a Deck of Spaces game
- Getting started with flexible spaces
- Designing your diverse, equitable and inclusive space